Skip to content

Hide this page

Our Services

There has been a mechanical breakdown of the chlamydia and gonorrhoea testing platform. The machine has now been fixed and we are working through a backlog of results. You will still be contacted with your results although there will be a delay with some test results. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)

I would like to be tested for STIs

There are a few options available for STI testing.

1. Our most popular option is the Test and Go (TAG) service. This is for people who have no symptoms and are 18 and over, who have had a new sexual health risk since their last test. It can take up to two weeks for chlamydia and gonorrhea to show up in a test, four weeks for HIV, and twelve weeks for syphilis. If you think you have been in contact with an STI, please do not wait twelve weeks for testing, we recommend that you undertake initial testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea after two weeks. 

You have to attend clinic for TAG. This is delivered by a non registered professional, the tests available are for HIV, syphilis (blood test), chlamydia and gonorrhoea (urine sample or vaginal swab).

Test and Go appointments are available by phoning the booking line on 01904 721111. If you require contraception, advice, have symptoms or require vaccinations, Test and Go appointments are not appropriate for you please book a nurse appointment via the booking line.

If you attend a test and go appointment and have symptoms, require contraception, or need vaccinations, you will be rebooked into an appointment with a nurse. This may mean returning on another day.

Further information on: vaccinations, PrEP and PEP

2. Postal Testing is available for some service users based on risk factors. You need to be 16 years old or over and asymptomatic (have no symptoms). If you think you may need to be checked for STIs, you might be able to order a home sampling kit here. We recommend that you take chlamydia and gonorrhea testing two weeks after potential exposure.  

Not everyone is eligible for home sampling as this is offered to service users based on risk factors. If you are not offered a home sampling kit, please see our Test and Go (TAG) offer which is available to most asymptomatic service users for routine STI testing. 

3. Some GP practices offer sampling kits. You often don't need to see a GP and can obtain these sampling kits from reception. 

4. We provide booked appointments to those with STI symptoms. Please call us on 01904 721111 to book an appointment. 

5. We offer some walk-in provision where you can have STI testing without booking. Please view our clinic pages to see when these run. We are running walk-in STI screening in Northallerton and Scarborough. Please note, these run on set dates. Click these links for further information on who can attend these clinics and for dates, times, and locations:


I need treatment for Chlamydia or Gonorrhoea

Please call 01904 721111 to make an appointment or see our find a clinic page for appointment times.

If you have had a positive chlamydia result and have no symptoms you can have postal treatment. Please call the clinic on 01904 721111 to arrange a phone appointment.

You can also get treatment from your GP and from some pharmacies. Remember that the treatment is a prescribed medication and may incur a prescription charge. 

Please read the following before attending for treatment:




I think that I have come into contact with a Sexually Transmitted Infection

If you think that you have come into contact with HIV in the last 72 hours please click here


If you think that you have come into contact with HIV over 72 hours ago please call 01904 721111 to discuss the earliest time to do a reliable test.

If you think you have come into contact with any other infection then you might need to have treatment. Alternatively, it might be better to test and wait for your results. Please call 01904 721111 to discuss the best option. You can also click here to order a STI testing postal kit online. 

If your current sexual partner has had a positive test result and is being treated please call 01904 721111 for an appointment or see our Clinics and Services page for appointment times.

There are no routine tests available on the NHS for herpes or genital warts. If you think you have come into contact with either of these infections please check the skin on your genitals for signs or symptoms. If there is something new that you are not sure about call 01904 721111 for an appointment or see our Clinics and Services page for appointment times.

I need to have vaccinations for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B or Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

We offer Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and HPV vaccinations for most at risk groups.

Hepatitis A:

  • Men who have sex with men

Hepatitis B:

  • Men who have sex with men
  • Sex workers
  • People who have multiple partners


  • Men who have sex with men aged 15-45. 

For more information on the HPV vaccination for MSM, please click here

These vaccinations are given where there is a sexual health risk involved. We do not offer vaccinations for travelling or for occupational health reasons.

If you need vaccinating please call 01904 721111 for an appointment or see our clinics and services page for appointment times.

If you're not sure, you can call 01904 721111 and ask to speak to a nurse to discuss your risks and the recommended schedule for each vaccination.

I have symptoms that I think might be a Sexually Transmitted Infection

It can be tricky to determine what symptoms might mean that you have a sexually transmitted infection.


Typical symptoms for people who have a vagina include:

  • Pain in lower tummy
  • Blisters on genitals
  • Lumps/warts


Typical symptoms for people who have a penis include:

  • Pain in testicles
  • Discharge from penis
  • Blisters on genitals
  • Lumps/warts


If you have any of these symptoms please call 01904 721111 for an appointment or see our clinics and services page for appointment times.

If you have not had sex or if you have not had a change of partner then your symptoms are less likely to be due to a sexually transmitted infection and your GP might be the best place to go for advice.

I think I have Thrush or Bacterial Vaginosis

If your current symptoms appear to be the same as described for thrush and BV, and you have had no recent change in sexual partner then you can buy treatment from the pharmacy or a prescription from your GP.


Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is the most common cause of unusual vaginal discharge. One in three people with a vagina get it at some point in their lives. People who have a penis don’t get Bacterial Vaginosis.

It's not a sexually transmitted infection and for many people, Bacterial Vaginosis goes away by itself.

Please click here for more information on BV.



Thrush is an infection caused by a yeast fungus.

It's not a sexually transmitted infection but can sometimes develop after you've had sex. It can develop in the vagina and on the genitals.

It's a very common cause of unusual vaginal discharge – 3 out of 4 people with a vagina will have thrush at some point in their lives.

It’s unusual for people who have a penis to get thrush.

Please click here for information on thrush.

I have been sexually assaulted, raped or sexually abused

Where can I get help?


If you have been raped, sexually assaulted or abused there are specialist services to help you.

In the first instance please contact Mountain Healthcare (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) on 0330 223 0099 or the police directly on 101.

Mountain Healthcare can support you to have emergency contraception pills, a medical examination, PEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) and support and guidance.

Sexual health can support screening for infections but this screening needs to be done within certain time frames. These time frames are between 2-12 weeks after the assault.

Click here for more information on help after rape and sexual assault .

For children and young people (0-16 years): Child Sexual Assault Assessment Centre- York Hospital


What is the centre for?

The Child Sexual Assault Assessment Centre (CSAAC) provides a service for children and young people from 0-16 years of age who have disclosed sexual abuse or assault or where it is suspected that it may have happened.

When a child or young person comes to the centre, they will come with either a social worker, or a specially trained police officer and one or both of their parents/carers. The child or young person can talk to the nurse and the doctor about what has happened and they can have a check up (an examination) to check they are OK.

The service covers York and North Yorkshire and is located at York Hospital.


How can I get to see someone at the centre?

The centre is only able to see children and young people who are referred by a social worker or the police. It is not a self-referral service.


If you only feel able to talk to someone confidentially, perhaps to help you decide what to do next, you can contact the NSPCC 24 hour helpline - tel 0808 800 5000 or email

If you or someone you know is at immediate risk of harm, please phone the police 999

Rape Crisis - Tel 0808 802 9999

24hr National Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 200 0247 

Survive York - Office 01904 638813  Helpline 01904 642 830

Mankind - 08123 334 244 (for male victims of domestic abuse)

Victim Support - 0808 168 9111

IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services) - 0300 111 0777

Mountain Health - 0330 223 0099


Police - 101-non emergency/999-emergency


Social care services -  North Yorkshire: 01609 780780, York: 01904 551900, Out of office hours: 01609 780780



Consent means giving permission or agreeing for something to happen. Both people need to give consent before having sex, otherwise it counts as rape. Remember, it’s always OK to change your mind half way through. That’s true whether you’re kissing, touching, having oral, anal or vaginal sex, or doing anything sexual. You should never feel pressure to do anything that you’re not comfortable with. This video explains consent really clearly.





I might have been exposed to HIV in the last 72 hours and I think I need PEP

Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is an anti-HIV medication that is prescribed to a HIV negative person within 72 hours of potential exposure to HIV. Ideally it should be started within 24 hours. It needs to be taken for 28 days. A&E departments are able to start PEP when the clinic is closed.

PEP is recommended if there is a greater than 1 in 1000 chance of catching HIV. PEP is not recommended for human bites, discarded needlestick injury, or oral sex. For other situations we offer a discussion of risks versus benefits for taking PEP. Please call our central booking line on 01904 721111 to attend the clinic within 72 hours of potential exposure to HIV. See our clinics and services page for appointment times. 

PEP is more effective the sooner it is taken, so please attend the clinic or A&E as soon as possible for a discussion if you think you need it. 

I want to know more about PrEP for preventing HIV infection

Please go to our page here 

for more information.

I am under 17

If you are a young person aged 17 and under you can text us on  07973775692. This line is open Monday to Friday, 8:15am to 3:30pm.

Please include your full name, date of birth, and address when you send us a text. 

You can also call our central booking line on 01904 721111 to book an appointment.

For more information on our services for young people, click here

I need emergency contraception

To access our information on emergency contraception, please click here.