Fit, exchange or remove my coil
We offer appointments to fit, exchange and remove contraceptive coils.
We offer two types of contraceptive coil; the copper IUD (intrauterine device) or hormonal IUS (intrauterine system).
There are 3 different hormonal coils which all contain a very small amount of hormones and much less than the other hormonal contraceptives.
The Mirena hormonal coil now will be effective for 6 years and so doesn’t need exchanging before that time unless you are using it as part of HRT (hormone replacement therapy)
Kyleena lasts for 5 years and Jaydess for 3 years
We are only commissioned to fit coils for contraceptive purposes. For coils for non-contraceptive reasons you can access this from some GPs. Please contact your GP to discuss your coil fit or exchange if it is not for contraception.
If you are 55 or older you do not require contraception
The copper coil is the most effective method of emergency contraception. Please call 01904 721111 if you need emergency contraception.
You need to be sure that you do not have a sexually transmitted infection before a coiI fit/exchange. You should have a Chlamydia test if you are under the age of 25, had sex with someone new in the last 3 months or had more than one sexual contact in the last year. You don’t need to test if you have had a negative chlamydia test after these risks.
To order a chlamydia test please click here before booking an appointment.
Having the hormonal coil as contraception
You will need to ensure you are not pregnant by using a reliable method of contraception prior to a coil fit.
Fit/exchange your coil
Before you book an appointment to have a device fitted, please follow the steps below
1. Please use the links below to read the information on the Sexwise website here and watch the videos:
This will give you the information to help you decide if this is the right method for you. If you would like to discuss your options further please call 01904 721111 to talk to a clinician.
2. How to make sure you are not at risk of being pregnant at the time of your fitting/exchange:
The IUD and IUS can usually be fitted at any time in your cycle, unless you could be pregnant. If there is a risk that you might be pregnant then we may have to reschedule your fitting/exchange.
If you are currently using a hormonal method (pill, patch, vaginal ring, injection and non-expired implant) or condoms please continue to use your current method correctly until your fitting/exchange.
If you are currently using the diaphragm or natural methods of contraception or have an expired implant or expired IUD/IUS device then you have two options:
Do not have unprotected sex from day 1 of your last period, until your appointment (or avoid sex for three weeks if your periods are irregular)
Arrange to use a short-acting form of contraception, for example, pill, patch, vaginal ring, for at least four weeks before the fitting.
3. Preparation checklist:
Please view the self-assessment checklist to help you to decide if you are ready to have a coil fitting/exchange.
Click here to download the self-assessment checklist.
4. On the day of your appointment:
- Where possible we will fit your device at your appointment. However, there may be reasons why the fitting may need to be deferred. If this happens then the doctor or nurse who is seeing you will explain why.
- Please allow at least one hour for the appointment. Although the procedure does not take this long, some people need a little more time to recover after the procedure.
- We recommend that you eat and take pain relief an hour before your appointment.
- Please bring sanitary protection, as you may experience some bleeding after the fitting.
- We advise that you may not feel well enough to drive immediately after your fitting.
- Please have someone available to call in case you feel unwell post fit.
Information for under 18s:
During the consultation you will be asked some additional questions regarding your social circumstances, for example which school you go to and who you are living with. All our consultations are confidential. We will only share information about you if we think you or someone else is at risk. If information is shared, it is with services that can support you
Removing your coil
Please call 01904 721111 to book an appointment.
You need to abstain from sex or use condoms 7 days before the removal.
If your coil is out of date please ensure you are using reliable alternative contraception.
Booking your appointment:
Call YSH booking line on 01904 721111 to arrange an appointment.
- Please allow at least 45 minutes for the appointment.
YSH is a training service. This means there may sometimes be a qualified nurse or doctor in training working alongside the YSH practitioner at your appointment.