Sexual assault or sexual abuse


If you have been raped, assaulted or abused - help is available. If you cannot come to our clinic, there are several sources which you can access.

Rape Crisis - Tel 0808 8029999

24hr National Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 2000247 

Survive York - Office 01904 638813  Helpline 01904 642830

Mankind - 08123 334 244 ( for male victims of domestic abuse )

Victim Support 0808 168 9111

IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services) - 0300 1110777

If you are worried about pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections, please contact your local sexual health clinic. If you need emergency contraception, click here for advice.

Sexual assault, rape and sexual abuse are illegal. The law says that if you did not freely agree to any sexual acts, then you have not said 'yes'.
It is NOT okay for someone to offer money, favours or gifts to try and get you to do sexual things that you do not want to do.

It is NOT ok for someone to blackmail you, use physical force or threaten you, to get you to do something which makes you feel uncomfortable or makes you feel bad about yourself.

Most rape victims are female but there are also many cases where it happens to men. Mankind and Victim Support can both offer help to men.

Often, rapes are committed by someone who the victim knows. That includes members of their family or someone that they know socially.

You can also be raped or sexually assaulted by someone who you are in a relationship with or by someone you've never met before.
Rape and sexual abuse doesn't just affect adults - it happens to teenagers and children too. When people sexually abuse others, they know what they are doing and they should know that it is against the law.

It is never your fault if you are sexually abused by another person, but sometimes people feel like they are to blame in some way.

Help and support

The health service, police and other organisations are there to help anyone who has been raped or become a victim of sexual assault.

Although it may be difficult to talk about your experience, it can really help you to cope if you have the right support.

Rape and sexual assault are devastating crimes which can have life-changing effects, not only for the victims but also their families.

Where is help available?

For people aged 17 years and over:

Bridge House is a Sexual Assault Referral Centre providing a dedicated service for men or women who have been raped or sexually assaulted recently or in the past.

At Bridge House you will be able to discuss your options and receive support. You will not be pressured to reporting to the Police but can discuss with Bridge House staff the options available to you.

You can contact Bridge House via our website, or by calling 0330 2230362 (09.00 - 17.00, Mon - Fri) or 0330 2231617 (24 Hours, 7 days a week) where you can leave a message for a member of staff to call you back.

Bridge House works closely with the Sexual Health Clinic and can refer you for a confidential appointment with a nurse who will be able to discuss your sexual health matters in an appointment offered to you.

The staff at the Sexual Health Clinic will know what has happened to you via the confidential referral system so you don't have to explain your story again.

You will also be offered ongoing support by Bridge House which will be tailored to your needs.

For more information please contact the centre or visit our website

Bridge House offer you a non judgemental and homely environment to discuss options available to you.

For children and young people (0-16 years):

Child Sexual Assault Assessment Centre- York Hospital

What is the Centre for?

The Child Sexual Assault Assessment Centre (CSAAC) provides a service for children and young people from 0-16 years of age who have disclosed sexual abuse or assault or where it is suspected that it may have happened.

When a child or young person comes to the Centre, they will come with either a social worker, or a specially trained police officer and one or both of their parents/carers. The child or young person can talk to the nurse and the doctor about what has happened and they can have a check up (an examination) to check they are OK.

The service covers York and North Yorkshire and is located at York Hospital.

How can I get to see someone at the centre?

The Centre is only able to see children and young people who are referred by a social worker or the police. It is not a self referral service, and so this means it is not confidential.  (unlike the Adult Sexual Assault Referral Centre –SARC)

This is because the service is for children and young people who are under 16 and nurses, doctors, the police and social workers need to know what has happened so they can help and stop the abuse.

If you are worried that this has happened to you or you are worried about someone else and you are under 16, it is really important that you tell someone, so that we can help you.

This could be someone you trust like a teacher or the pastoral lead at school, your family doctor, or your school nurse.

If you only feel able to talk to someone confidentially, perhaps to help you decide what to do next, you can contact the NSPCC 24 hour helpline - tel 0808 8005000 or email

If you or someone you know is at immediate risk of harm, please phone the police 999.

Remember: Sexual abuse is never OK. It is OK to speak to someone to ask for help - abuse is never your fault