HIV Social Support
HIV treatment is highly effective in improving the quality of life of people living with HIV. Now, with U=U (undetectable = untransmittable), treatment is also an effective way of preventing passing on HIV to partners.
However, we still realise that living with HIV isn’t always easy, therefore YorSexualHealth (YSH) runs a free and confidential support service for people living with HIV and their partners and carers in York and North Yorkshire.
We can support you with:
- Self-management of your physical and mental health
- Assistance with benefits and getting back into work or education
- Peer support and group support opportunities
We will help you to identify how HIV affects your life and how to cope with any issues and symptoms that you are experiencing.
Upcoming HIV support group sessions:
York: 6th November 2019, 6:15pm-8pm at the Yorkshire MESMAC office, The Workshop, Marygate Lane, York, YO30 7BJ.
Scarborough: 29th October 2019, 6pm-7pm at Yorkshire Coast Enterprise Centre, Auborough Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 1HT.
Harrogate: 30th October 2019, 6pm-7pm at Community House, 46-50 East Parade, Harrogate, HG1 5RR.
There are other services you can also access for support:
- Be Resilient http://www.be-resilient.org/
- Terrence Higgins Trust https://www.tht.org.uk/our-services/online-services
- National Long Term Survivors Group: https://www.nltsg.org.uk/
- Positively UK run a helpline. Call 020 7713 0444
For further information on living with HIV and U=U you can visit:
- i-base http://i-base.info/u-equals-u-qa/
- Terence Higgins Trust https://www.tht.org.uk/hiv-and-sexual-health/living-well-hiv
- Avert https://www.avert.org/living-with-hiv/newly-diagnosed
- MESMAC http://www.mesmac.co.uk/