30th May 2020
HIV treatment is highly effective in improving the quality of life of people living with HIV. Now, with U=U (undetectable = untransmittable), treatment is also an effective way of preventing passing on HIV to partners.
YorSexualHealth (YSH) runs a free and confidential support service for people living with HIV and their partners and carers in York and North Yorkshire.
We can support you with:
- Self-management of your physical and mental health
- Assistance with benefits and getting back into work or education
- Peer support and group support opportunities
- Symptoms management
Upcoming HIV support group sessions:
The upcoming peer group meetings in York and Scarborough are postponed. An online peer support session using Zoom on the theme HIV & COVID-19 will be running on the 27th May, 6 - 7pm for people who normally attend the York group and on 28th May for people who normally attend the Scarborough Group. If you have any questions or would like to attend please contact us: email email@example.com or call 01904 725423 for more info on available support.
There are other services you can also access for support:
- Be Resilient http://www.be-resilient.org/
- Terrence Higgins Trust https://www.tht.org.uk/our-services/online-services
- National Long Term Survivors Group: https://www.nltsg.org.uk/
- Positively UK run a helpline. Call 020 7713 0444
For further information on living with HIV and U=U you can visit:
- i-base http://i-base.info/u-equals-u-qa/
- Terence Higgins Trust https://www.tht.org.uk/hiv-and-sexual-health/living-well-hiv
- Avert https://www.avert.org/living-with-hiv/newly-diagnosed
- MESMAC http://www.mesmac.co.uk/